7 Reasons for a C-section/ Caesarean section Delivery
For some parents to be having a C-section is a choice. For others there may be medical reasons why this form of delivery is a better option for mommy and baby than vaginal birth is. In the video below, Midwife -Sister Nonhlanhla from Ikhaya Le Mbeleko takes us through 7 possible reasons why a doctor would strongly urge parents to choose the C-section delivery over vaginal delivery.
These possible reasons could be:
- Pregnancy induced Hypertension
- Diabetic Mothers who have Macrosomia babies. Thisis a term that describes a baby who is born much larger than average for their gestational age.
- Cephalopelvic disproportion(CPD) occurs when a baby’s head or body is too large to fit through the mother’s pelvis.
- Heart or other Medical Conditions which the mother or baby have been diagnosed with.
- Foetal Distress is an emergency pregnancy, labor, and delivery complication in which a baby experiences oxygen deprivation (birth asphyxia).
- Placenta previa occurs when a baby’s placenta partially or totally covers the mother’s cervix — the outlet for the uterus.
- Placental abruption is when the placenta separates early from the uterus, in other words separates before childbirth.
A doctor may suggest a C-section in order for the birth of your baby to happen in a controlled environment. Remember mommy, last minute changes to birth plans happen all the time and should not be reason for panic. Ask questions, speak to your OBGYN or your midwife to find the best options for you. Please watch the video below for a complete breakdown of these reasons and let us know if you have any questions by commenting below.
We also have a blog on the varying stages of labour which can help parents prepare for when the day arrives.
Undecided about what kind of delivery you want? Watch mother and presenter Karabo Motsiri have an in-depth chat with Sister Nonhlanhla and another parent to discuss choosing vaginal delivery as a birth/delivery option.